Wednesday, May 5, 2010

We're New Parents!


It's a month now since I've returned from my birding trip. When I wake up in the mornings in my luscious bed here at home, and hear the resident chorus in the woods, the sounds still transport me back to the rain and cloud forests of Costa Rica.


About a month ago, I took this pot of raspberries from under the bush and placed it in a plant holder that just happened to be under a window. Not paying much attention for a while, last week, I decided to see how it was doing. Rooting around under the profuse growth, there was a messy mass of branches and pine needles and stuff, so I began pulling gently to clean it out of the pot.

It took me a minute to realize it was a tightly constructed mass with a hole in it. By the time I realized what it was, I was sure I had ruined a nest. With remorse and faith, I pushed it gently back again and tip-toed back from the pot, hoping I hadn't disturbed the architect.

This didn't stop my curious self from keeping an eye on it; but no signs of life.

However, "Eagle-eye" Ron saw this 'chummy' couple of Cardinals constantly flying to the south side of the house after constant visits to our feeders. There we found another surprise resting in a dried bunch of climbing weeds smothering a water oak directly across from where the first nest was!

I was kind of relieved the raspberry residents had built new quarters! While I was looking for the nest, I even saw a female cardinal fly right to it; which to me, verified they had relocated, thankfully.

But... back I went today to check on the raspberry nest and Lo and Behold! these two precious little eggs!!

My friend, Carolyn, calls birds "flowers that fly".
These are my little raspberry birds :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment